Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas in Indiana

John and I spent Christmas in Indiana with his lovely family.  We kept very busy between visits with family and friends, last minute Christmas shopping, and even a Christmas Eve hike with the neighbor children.  It was a very blessed, refreshing, and special visit. 
The 2009 Christmas holiday was full of firsts and new developments:

1.  This was John's and my first Christmas as a married couple, and my first Christmas as part of a new family.



2.  I wasn't the only new family member.  John's sister Sarah married Jason (in the red striped sweater) in September.

3.  John's brother and sister-in law are expecting their first child in late February.

4.  Anna, John's youngest sister, received news that she had been accepted into her first-choice college!  We were with Anna when she received the good news.
 

2009 was certainly a year of unexpected blessing.  One year ago I never would have guessed I would be living in New York City, married to the most wonderful man I could imagine, and have a new godly, loving family.

My entrance into a new family, through my husband John, reminds me of our adoption as sons and dauthers through Jesus Christ.  Through no merit of own, Christ as made a way for us to be made right with God.  Though we were once enemies of God, Christ has reconciled us to God as His sons and daughters.  My new status as John's wife brings with it a new name, a new family, and a new calling.  Much the same, acceptance of Christ changes our status and calling- we are no longer slaves but sons and daughters- heirs through Christ!

"But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons.  And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying 'Abba! Father!'  So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God." Galations 4:4-7

No comments:

Post a Comment