Saturday, January 30, 2010

Chinatown & Cheap Eats

A few months ago I discovered Hong Kong Supermarket in Chinatown.  This grocery store is not only HUGE by New York City standards, but also has the some of the best deals I've found in the area.  Once every week or so I'll jog to Hong Kong Supermarket, buy groceries, and then walk home.  It's a wonderful outing and a great way to have a little escape.  I've grown so fond of my trip to Chinatown that I've invited John along on a couple evening outings.We've had a wonderful time poking around Chinatown.  Here are some photographs from our recent trips.

I love the produce department at Hong Kong Supermarket.  It's large and you can find just about anything you want!

One of our other favorite spots in Chinatown is Prosperity Dumpling.  From the exterior, Prosperity Dumpling doesn't look like much.  There's barely room to stand in the store when you place your order.  Everything on the menu is less than $2.00!  We ate dinner there the other night.  We ordered 10 dumplings, a sesame  beef pancake sandwich, and an order of noodles.  Grand Total =$6!  We couldn't even finish all our food. How I love cheap entertainment!

A visit to Chinatown is not complete without a trip to Taipan Bakery.  Taipan Bakery is a very shiny establishment with light pink accents.  Unfortunately, the bakery ladies wouldn't let me take a photo of the store.  Like many places in Chinatown, pretty much everything at Taipan Bakery is 99 cents.  Here's a coconut creme bun (my personal favorite) and a chocolate mousse (John's favorite).


Taipan Bakery also has great fruit milkshakes with tapioca pearls (much like bubble tea).  You can see the pearls ("sago") in this photo.



1 comment: