Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Big Happenings

Last night there were big happenings in the Pulliam household.  Anyone who has ever had a baby knows that sleep is a big thing for babies...and for new mamas.  

This has been Lydia's bed since she was born.

This was also my sister's bed, my bed, and my brother's bed.  My uncles designed and built this cradle, even steaming and bending the wood for arched sides.

When we found out that Lydia was going to be a girl, my mom sewed beautiful bedding for the cradle.  I picked out the fabric, and she sewed.  Pretty good deal, right?  I think the pleated skirt gave her quite a bit of trouble, but it turned out beautifully.


Well, we all knew the day would come when Lydia would outgrow this family heirloom.  I just didn't think it would come this quickly.

Last week, Lydia surprised us with a new trick...
Yes, her foot is inching up over the side of the cradle...  That's just fine during bare-bottomed playtime, but I knew we were in for trouble when I found both of her feet kicked over the side at 4am!

I had intentionally delayed the crib decision as we are in a 1 bedroom apartment... We did not want to put a full size crib in our bedroom because Lydia does not make a very good roommate- lots of night time noises. After much deliberation, I decided a pack and play was the best option, allowing us the freedom of moving Lydia in between the bedroom and living room.

Yesterday the pack and play arrived.  We tested it out in the afternoon...

 

 She likes it!
 She really likes it!

Sleep has been a difficult thing for Lydia, and so I was very nervous about how her first night in the pack and play would go.  Surprise, surprise, last night on the eve of her 3 month birthday, she slept through the night (11:30pm-7am) for the first time!  I did hear some noises around 5:30am, but she didn't cry!

I came out to wake up Lydia at 7am, and this is how I found her.


Sitting in the dark with her eyes wide open! Not to mention, having rotated 180 degrees from the position where I left her.  I have no idea how long she had been awake, but I think it still counts as sleeping through the night!

No comments:

Post a Comment