Friday, July 31, 2009

Bad Apples...Good Cake!

I bought some apples at a farmer's market recently, which turned out to be horrible... you know the type that disintegrate into mush in your mouth? In general, the apples were inedible. So, last night I decided to make apple cake out of them! I found a new recipe online and decided to give it a shot. It was delicious! I have reproduced the recipe below, which I found here: http://www.the4cs.com/~cathy/Apples/cake.html

Apple Cake
  • 4 cups peeled and diced apples (I used slightly more)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup chopped nuts (I left out the nuts)
  • 2 eggs, well beaten
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon (I put in a little extra)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix apples and sugar thoroughly. Add oil, nuts, eggs and vanilla. Mix dry ingredients together and add to apple mixture. Bake in a greased 9x13 inch pan for 1 hour (I actually used a 9x9 inch pan and baked for about 50 minutes).

I was very pleased with how this turned out (John was too!). The edges of the cake had a nice crisp (but not too crisp), chewyness to them, and the center of the cake was moist and tender. I wish I would have taken a photograph of the cake, but I'll have to do that next time!

1 comment: