Thursday, February 18, 2010

Cooking, Baking, and Eating

Before marrying, I knew how to cook and bake....but, I didn't have experience planning meals for 7 days a week. The first week back from our honeymoon, I remember being terrified and completely at a loss for what to make for dinner. Lucky for me, I have a very grateful husband with a not-too-discriminating palate (his bachelor meals consisted of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and cereal). Slowly, over the past months, I've accumulated a variety of recipes that I like to make and that John likes to eat. I've chronicled some of my adventures in the kitchen below.

1. Pumpkin Bread: I have to admit that this bread is a mix from Trader Joe's. I did make the glaze from scratch.


2. Beef Stew: I learned this recipe from my sister, who has perfected the art of beef stew.

3. Chicken Pho: One night I was feeling particularly adventuresome and made pho, a Vietnamese noodle soup filled with vegetables, herbs, and chicken. My soup bowls are entirely too shallow for brothy pho. So, we ate our soup out of mixing bowls.
3. French Toast: John and I are both fans of French toast. On this particular occasion, I used slices from a loaf of whole wheat French bread.
4. Meatloaf, scalloped potatoes and tasty salad. Yum.

5. Chocolate Cavity Maker Cake: My mom shared this recipe with me. I made this cake for John's birthday to share with our Bible study group.

Here is the first layer...
Here is the finished product...
Here's what was left after our Bible study friends tore into it...
And this is what my kitchen looked like afterwards.


4 comments:

  1. Rebekah and I agree, planning meals is often much harder than actually making them! Looks like you've already got a great start.
    Here's my unsolicited recipe advice for a quick and easy (but tasty) meal: 4 chicken breasts, 1/4 cup cooking sherry, 1 can cream of chicken soup (cream of mushroom works too), 1/4 cup melted butter, ritz crackers, swiss cheese.
    Preheat oven to 350
    Spray 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray and place chicken inside. Cover the chicken with a slice of cheese each. Combine sherry and soup and pour over chicken. Crumble crackers over chicken and top with melted butter. Bake for 45 min. Serves 4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe, Ben. Will have to try that! I do one with cream of mushroom soup, rice, broccoli, and chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sitting in the library and these photos are making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you consider posting the Pho recipe?

    ReplyDelete