Wednesday, June 17, 2009

NYC Economics

Since arriving in NYC two days ago, I've been paralyzed by sticker shock. I knew things would be expensive here, but I never imagined a box of cereal would cost $6.75. But, some things are cheaper in New York. For instance, manicures and eyebrow waxing. There is a vast supply of small beauty shops in NYC. A manicure here will cost you only $7. Back home I would pay $12.

Kinda fun!

I noticed an interesting diseconomy of scale at the grocery store today. I needed dish soap. A small bottle of dish soap was $2.99. Being a bargain hunter, I automatically gravitated towards the largest bottle I could find. To my surprise, the larger bottle of dish soap was actually more expensive per ounce! I'm not sure what's driving the diseconomy- perhaps low demand for large bottles of dish soap. Maybe the costs of disposing of a large bottle of dish soap run up the price...what do you think?

1 comment: