Thursday, October 1, 2009

Surprise Attack

Living on the Hudson River holds lots of surprises- beautiful views, gusty (and I mean GUSTY) winds, and the occasional surprise naval attack. Last Saturday night, John and I were hanging out in the new apartment. Suddenly, we heard the largest series of explosions I have ever heard.

Given that we live near Ground Zero, and given that I am my my mother's daughter, my first thought was "This must be a terrorist attack!" We rushed to the window to see what was going on. To our surprise, as we looked out over the Hudson River, we saw a fireworks display!

We grabbed our coats and made a dash for the elevators (along with everyone else in our apartment building)... We sprinted to the waterfront park in front of our apartment building, sat down on a bench, and enjoyed the show. It was amazing to see fireworks being set off only 50 or 60 yards away. The display was amazing, and I really enjoyed seeing all the little kids in their pajamas run out of their buildings to watch the fireworks. After about five minutes it was all over. We have no idea why there was a fireworks show, but it was a very pleasant surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment